Sunday, October 21, 2007

Learn Something New Everyday.....

You know how everyone has their favorite movie or TV show, one that you can watch over and over and never get tired of it. (For my mom, it's Star Trek) Since my surgery, I've been watching Alias over again (for the umpteenth time). Everytime I watch it, I learn something new. I'm nearly done with Season 2 and so far, I've found dozens more references to the number 47. I also realize there are several actors in Alias who appear in JJ Abram's other productions, other than the obvious ones (The pilot from Lost, etc). I'm sure no one cares, but it's interesting to me. I would love to one day work on a show like that (Lost, Alias, etc).

On a different subject, I have this book I've been reading off and on when I'm at the gym. It's called "This I Believe." It's a compilation of essays written in response to a NPR radio program of the same name. NPR asked people to write an essay about what they believe in, their life's "credo," only positive responses. This was done in 1951. They revisited the series and broadcast another program around 2000. People like Colin Powell, Carl Sandberg, Helen Keller, Jackie Robinson and other famous writers, civil rights activists, and political leaders responded, as well as ordinary citizens. The book is a compilation of new essays and some from the original program. Some of these essays are amazing. Some of them I don't understand. But one in particular stood out to me. It's written by Robert A. Heinlein, a writer and Navy war veteran. In his essay, he talks about his belief in the everyday, ordinary person. He says that "for every criminal, there are ten thousand honest, decent, kindly men. If it were not so, no child would live to grow up. Business could not go from day to day. Decency is not news. It is buried in the obituaries, but is a force stronger than crime."
I know I'm not that important in the world of television, but sitting behind the switcher everyday and listening to story after story of death, tragedy, and unspeakable crime, you have to compartmentalize your thoughts to get the job done. When all you hear is negative, reading things like this after a hard day of work is very emotional. I first read this essay back in June. It was the week of the sofa super store fire where 9 local firemen died. Everyone at work was emotionally exhausted and were all on edge. The stress of that week was unbelievable. Wes was working around the clock. No one could sleep. I can't even imagine what the local media in NY went through during and after 9-11. Even though most of us didn't know the 9 guys, we knew someone who did or we related to it in some other way or because the store was less than a mile away from our station. The fact that it could have happened anywhere and to anyone affected us, I think. I read this essay that week and I cried. I was on the treadmill, running and crying.
The fire was the day after Father's day. My birthday was the following Sunday. I was looking forward to NOT working that weekend. On Friday when I was driving home (late because the public memorial service was carried live) I was physically and emotionally exhausted. I texted Wes to tell him I was going home (He was working) and then called Mom. She knew about all that was going on and I told her I was really tired and was looking foward to not working. She nearly cried when she told me that she was only three hours away. I almost had a wreck!! It couldn't have come at a more perfect time. It was comforting that she was here. It was possibly the hottest weekend of the summer, but we had a great time and the stress just went away completely. It was the best birthday present ever.

The reason I'm writing this is because I am almost finished with the book and I think it is something that everyone should read. The website has a more in depth history of the NPR program as well as other essays. I was moved by this book and the essays in it, and I know that other people will be as well.

Okay, enough sob story, I'm going to the gym........ :)

No comments: