Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mom & Me on the Beach

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, I had a not-so-pleasant day at work on Monday and haven't been able to do much. That's the only negative thing I'll say this time. This is a positive entry!

Mom & I thoroughly enjoyed our beach retreat! We left on Friday morning and got there around noon. There was some flooding in Mobile. The causeway was under water and police had many roads blocked.

We heard on the radio later that traffic was very heavy going into the tunnel and I-10 in Mobile because of the roads being closed. We're glad we came through when we did, because we would have been stuck in traffic. A few blocks from the beach, there were several side roads flooded and parts of Hwy 59 were one or two lanes because of ponding. Ironically, it never rained a drop while we were there!

Our condo is great!!! Perfect view of the beach and plenty of space. Thanks to Mom's friend at work for letting us stay there!! We'll definitely be back!

The Balcony furniture was inside when we got there because of the storm. We moved the lounge chairs back out, but left he barstools and glass table inside.
We were about 5 or 6 floors from the top, second from the right.

It was extremely windy! When we parked the car at the condo, I couldn't open the door. I took all my strength to get out of the car and keep the door from slamming into me. We had to go buy some hats. After we got settled, we went for a beach walk. (The hats were a necessity!)
The waves were huge and loud! There were double flag warnings out (double red flag warnings mean extreme surf warning: no swimmers allowed.) The beach park down the road was closed and beach patrol was around keeping people out of the water. You had to be crazy to get in. We walked along the edge. There weren't many people out, just a few daredevils. Later we sat on the balcony and read our books for a while, then took another walk on the beach. (AAHHHH, this is the life sigh!)

That night, we watched CNN and the Weather Channel as Ike made landfall. Mom lived in Galveston when she was a kid, but she didn't remember much about it. The base that was there is closed now. On Saturday, we got up and laid out on the beach for a few hours, reading and relaxing. There were some cute kids digging holes and jumping in them around us. I took lots of pictures of the seagulls, the waves, kids playing in the water, etc. There were still two red flags posted, but the waves and the wind were much calmer, but still dangerous. Oh yeah, I got burnt!! Just on my front because I never turned over. Later on after lunch, we went back and walked the beach again, Mom collecting shells and me taking pictures. We ate dinner at the Original Oyster House. Excellent food. Great crab cakes, although not as good as Barbara Jeans. We had ALLIGATOR for an appetizer. It was pretty good.
Proof that Mom ate Alligator!!

On Sunday after our balcony time, we left the condo and headed for the outlet mall! Mom and I spent about 4 hours walking around the outlets. Got a few things. A new Life is Good Tshirt. Some really tasty chip & dips at the Harry & David store. Mom got some new dresses. I got a wedding gift for a friend who's getting married next month.

I'll post more pics later. (It's past my bedtime!) I took over 350 pictures. Mostly of random people on the beach, windsurfers, seagulls, shells, etc.

Overall we had a great time. It was extremely relaxing and well worth it. We decided next time we should bring our husbands. It may be a little too selfish of us if we didn't. They might start to wonder.......

No comments: