Saturday, April 12, 2008

Gift of Life 5K

Wes & I did the 5K this morning. It was a very nice day to be out in the park. The race course wound through the park around fields and lakes. (Unfortunately we didn't bring the camera) There were lots of ducks and geese around. It was pretty. While I was running, I came to a fork in the trail that wasn't marked. There was a girl in front of me that went right, so I went right. All was going well. I was pretty sure I was going to make my goal of 32 minutes. Wes and I ran it last year, so we were pretty familiar with the course. I never saw the two mile mark. I turned a corner and realized that I was much closer to the finish than I thought. I made it to the finish line at 23:39!!! I was super excited, but I knew something had to be wrong! Come to find out, that unmarked turn caused half the runners to miss 3/4 of a mile! They must have realized it because I noticed a big lull in people finishing while I was waiting on Wes. They apologized afterwards. I'm not sure if anyone complained, but the race director may have been a little upset at the volunteers. I probably would have finished around 30 or 31. But I guess I'll never know.

Yesterday after work, I went downtown and spent about 4 hours taking pictures. I parked near the battery and walked up and down all the residential streets, taking shots of house numbers, doors and door knocks, shutters, flowers and iron bars and this cute little cat that followed me for a bit. I also found three mallard ducks at Waterfront park. I ended up taking over 400 pictures. It was a great day to do it. I took my ipod and went "beebopping" around with all the lost tourists. This allowed me to avoid the "tourists scavangers," college kids who are paid to ANNOY you by yelling out things to get you to talk to them so they can sign you up for a 3 hour real estate tour. Anyway, I'm going through them today. I'll post a few good ones.

No comments: